Sunday, June 10, 2012

Tool #9

When I watched the RSA animation that was used on Sir Ken Robinson's video, I thought to myself, "There must be an app for that."  Sure enough!  Using a free app called "Miniatures: Tilt-Shift Time-Lapse Videos," I was able to make my first iPad time-lapse video!

TIME-LAPSE TIGER:

Sir K R's views about ADHD are interesting.  I wonder how many emails and letters he received after calling the condition a "medical fashion" and "fictitious epidemic"?  I also wonder why the number of diagnosed ADHD cases increase as you travel east across the country?  It's easy to understand its correlation with the growth of standardized testing.

Now, for the Tool #9 questions.

1.  Why do you think it is important to tie the technology to the objective?
If you don't tie the technology to the objective, you are just using technology for technology's sake. The whole purpose of the equipment is to provide authentic, real-world tools to help the children grow academically and collaboratively.  Objectives are needed to keep the students focused and to allow for assessment of student success.

2.  Why should we hold students accountable for the stations/centers?  If you don't hold them accountable, they might not meet the objectives.

3.  Which sites did you like?  How could you use them as stations?  How can you hold the students accountable for their time in these stations?  I thought that Mangahigh.com made a great math station for my 4th graders this past year.  It allows students to work at their individual levels and it provides competitive situations for children who thrive on competition.  It also allows teachers to monitor student progress.  It was fun having manga high competitions with Angela B.'s class and Barbara P.'s class this year!  I think the site will be good for my higher level 2nd grade math students.  I'm not sure there are enough games to meet the needs of struggling 2nd grade math students, at this time; but it looks like there are plans to add more games.  

Tutpup looks VERY familiar.  I think I've used it before . . . can't remember why I stopped.  I like how there are a variety of subject areas to choose from and how students compete anonymously with other countries.  It seems like every time I do a search for online educational games, the Learning Games for Kids website appears.  It is usually a link on my class wikis/blogs.  It is harder to hold kids accountable for websites like these.


4.  List two to three apps you found for the iPod touch/iPad that you can use in your classroom.


"Miniatures: Tilt-Shift Time-Lapse Videos" (the app that made the tiger time-lapse embedded earlier in this post) - fun way for students to teach review lessons or to demonstrate quick "how to's"


Here are some I learned about at a Summer U iPad class last week:
"Puppet Pals HD" and "Sock Puppets" - allow kids to make electronic puppet shows of stories they have read or written


"Toontastic" - allows children to make story arcs


"Videolicious" - fast and easy video generator - kids can take their own pictures and narrate their shows


What do you see that station looking like?  I really can't picture just "one look" for stations.  It all depends upon what the objectives are for the week.  I imagine that the equipment will be out and easily accessible for the children.


How can you hold the students accountable for their time in these stations?  I thought the district provided some great accountability ideas:  products, discussions, choice menus, and rubrics.  I liked the ideas of creating open-ended/close sentences, reflections on Google Docs, screen shots of activities, and web cam or voice recordings.

5.  What about other ways to use the ipod touch/ipad?  Share another way you can see your students using the device as a station.  They could type reading responses or research notes using the "notes" app. They could use FaceTime to interact with learning buddies from another school.  They could collect daily weather data using weather apps.

No comments:

Post a Comment