Monday, June 4, 2012

Tool #2

I visited and left comments on three Frostwood blogs:  Mallette's MusingsBeman's Blog, and Meg's Magic.  Since I already have a Diigo account, I went with the Google Reader option and arranged to have updates from the Houston Zoo's blog sent to me.  Google Reader is now also connecting me with a friend in England who keeps a blog about her school's bird web cam.


If you would like to see some cute English birds, click here:  Brigg Infant School's web cam.

I think that building and participating in online communities is important, but I think it can also become overwhelming.  Too much information is hard for an individual to process, even if it is placed in tidy bundles with great tools like Diigo.

It doesn't bother me to share my thoughts publicly in "sheltered" online environments like the blogs we are using now.  I'm a little intimidated by the heavy-duty, serious, professional blogs that have thousands of followers.  Most of the time, I don't feel as knowledgeable, passionate, witty, interested, or argumentative as their contributors.  

The blogs and educational/social  networks recommended by the Tool 2 lesson were interesting, because they showed such a wide variety of interests.  I personally liked the Science Teacher blog.  It made science poetic.  It was kind of therapeutic reading his lightning bug poem.

I thought Cool Cat Teacher gave good commenting advice when she suggested asking questions at the end of your posts to generate more comments.  Does anybody know how to turn off the text enhancing that is making certain random words (not links) in each post appear blue?


6 comments:

  1. I agree Sally, sometimes too much information is hard for an individual to process along with the daily routines and oh don't forget the teaching. But, I am looking forward to sharing my blog and posting more often than I did before. I like your idea of sharing with another class. The students would enjoy that. I will try to incorporate it next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you can share with mine! We can be blog buddies!

      Delete
  2. I am also intimidated by saying to much for all to see. I am totally a "lurker" on Facebook. I only post pictures, but never a status of what I am currently doing. Sometimes I think people share to much. It sounds like that is what those tips are encouraging!
    Did you ever figure out how to get the text enhance feature off? I see you asked 2 times!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emily, I am the same way and feel the exact same way. It was kind of nice seeing (or reading) that someone else is the same way. Some people definitely share too much. :)

      Delete
  3. You know, the text enhance doesn't show up when I look at blogs with my iPad. Maybe there is something wrong with one of my lap top settings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW SALLY! Your blog is AMAZING! No wonder I see and hear people calling you the "tech savvy" one. I'm so impressed...and jealous! It's great how much information you have on here. I am really enjoying going through it. :)

    ReplyDelete