Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Tool #10


Three things my students should understand about being good digital citizens:

1. They should never give out personal information, like their first and last name, address, school name, telephone number, email address, or password.

2. They should tell a trusted adult if they see something online that upsets them.

3. They should be kind and positive when they correspond online.

Instructional resources I plan to use:
Definitely Brain Pop. It always keeps students' attention.

Maybe the Cybersmart website. I like the "think" acronym.


How I will teach the idea of digital citizenship:
It will take at least two direct lessons. One lesson will be about safety (using the above resources). The other will be about proper "netiquette."  The children will need ongoing reminders and supervision throughout the year.

I like the video that was on the Flat Classroom website (from Tool #7) that was called "Using Edmodo in a Week in the Life Project." I couldn't embed it here, but this is what it looked like:


3rd graders on the video talk about how to make appropriate posts. Be kind and positive. If others make mistakes, "just go with the flow." Don't repeat other people's answers and always proofread your work before you send it. Be specific. Don't just respond with "That's great!" Tell why it is great. My favorite line from the video is, "Use more words, not exclamation points."

I think I will have my students make a class video about digital citizenship to post on our class wiki.

The concept of "don't believe everything you read on the Internet" is also important, but I think safety and etiquette take the front burner with primary kids.

How I plan to share the idea of digital citizenship with parents:
I will make sure they receive and acknowledge the SBISD Acceptable Use Policy. I will also draw their attention to the class video on our wiki.

No comments:

Post a Comment